Jewellery Allergy Advice

by | News

Jewellery Allergy

Jewellery Allergy Advice: To Wear or Not to Wear Jewellery…

We are often asked about jewellery allergy advice and our brands composite material make up.

As Nickel allergies are quite common. We have created a blog to help you understand what a Nickel allergy is and to reassure you, if you are a sufferer, that House of Lor jewellery does not contain Nickel.

The immune system’s sensitivity to nickel can develop after your first exposure or after repeated or prolonged exposure. All of House of Lor jewellery complies with EU & international nickel directives. Put simply, none of the jewellery we make contains any traces of nickel whatsoever. So, no allergy issues, thankfully.

But how do you know you have a Nickel intolerance? Nickel allergy is a common cause of allergic contact dermatitis — an itchy rash that appears where your skin touches a usually harmless substance, for a prolonged period.

Nickel allergy is commonly associated with earrings and other jewellery. But not in House of Lor jewellery as explained above.  Nickel can be found in many everyday items, such as zippers, eyeglass frames, and even some electronics, including mobile phones and laptops.

It may take repeated or prolonged exposure to items containing nickel to develop a nickel allergy.  Once you develop a nickel allergy, you’ll always be sensitive to the metal and need to avoid contact. It is important therefore when purchasing jewellery to check that there are no traces of nickel, as in the case of House of Lor jewellery.

An allergic reaction (contact dermatitis) usually begins within hours to days after exposure to nickel. The reaction may last as long as 2 to 4 weeks. The reaction tends to occur only where your skin came into contact with nickel but occasionally may appear in other places on your body.

Nickel allergy signs and symptoms include:

  • Rash or bumps on the skin
  • Itching, which may be severe and painful.
  • Redness or changes in skin colour
  • Dry patches of skin that may resemble a burn
  • Blisters and draining fluid in severe cases

The exact cause of nickel allergy is unknown. As with other allergies, nickel allergy develops when your immune system views nickel as a harmful, rather than harmless substance. 

Once your body has developed a reaction to a particular agent (allergen) — in this case, nickel — your immune system will always be sensitive to it. That means anytime you come into contact with nickel, your immune system will respond and produce an allergic response, to it.

So, protect your skin and avoid jewellery which contains Nickel. We invite you to explore our Nickel free jewellery at www.houseoflor.con

You may also be interested

Celebrating Thanksgiving from Ireland

Celebrating Thanksgiving from Ireland

Here at House of Lor, we always acknowledge Thanksgiving Day. It is a special day in the year for our American customers. Did you know more than 31.5 million residents claim Irish ancestry?  The city with the highest Irish population is Boston, Massachusetts. At...

Join Waitlist We will inform you when the product arrives in stock. Please leave your valid email address below.
0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop